Sunday, January 21, 2007

School

So, I am currently in my third week teaching full time over here in Thailand! At the end of the first week, I was the only third grade teacher here. One of the teachers was back in England for an extra week after their break and the other teacher in the room next door apparently got a viral infection from her malaria pills, I was teaching not only my class, but picking up other classes as well. I came over expecting to observe and teach a few lessons, but instead I was thrown into the fire, so to speak. The class that I am teaching right now is a good group of children, but they are off the wall. I am the third teacher that they have had this school year, so they must be pretty confused about the whole situation. The first teacher left for another teaching job and the next one got booted out of the country for having false credentials. Oh yeah, and their school year is different. Not only am I the third teacher, but imagine coming into a situation where you have no idea where the students are at and they have one month of school left until the end of the school year. It is tough! This is allowing me to appreciate what I am coming back to and I am learning a whole lot about myself as a person and a teacher. This week,the students are getting ready for some sort of dance performance at a mall, so half of my class missed about one hour of class because apparently dancing is more important than all other learning. Things are going well, and I will be home soon. The school offered myself, as well as Jon and Kristi jobs for next year, but I think my place is back in Washington.

No comments: