Wednesday, January 10, 2007

First week of school

Sorry that there are no pictures yet! Look for those tomorrow sometime!

So I am adjusting to life in Thailand, but it has been tough. I was sick for a few days due to some sort of food poisoning, and the two others with me, John and Kristi were sick also. I think it may be due to the lack of cleanliness that this city has, especially the part we are in. This past Sunday we went to a Chinese/Thai Christian Church, and they had translators through headsets, but they did not work, so imagine a two and a half hour church service in two languages that you have know idea what is going on. As far as teaching goes, I am teaching full time and it is very difficult because I have no technology in my classroom, no lesson plans (because the teacher left), I don't have all the books, I had no idea where the students were in their books, I have no supplies (so it is hard to do the activities that I would like to do, and oh yeah, the students' English is not too great. The books that I have to use are British, so they spell center- centre and it's just a mess. However, I have already been told by some teachers that the three of us are better than half the teachers at this school, but I have not let this go to my head. The school is very unorganized and there is no discipline for the students because the school is run by the Thais and I guess they do not believe too much in discipline. I am teaching third grade, so my students are very polite and want to learn. However, I have heard that the high-schoolers show up to class twenty minutes late and many do not do their work, but get this-they can't fail. Yes, apparently it is a law in Thailand that you cannot fail a student, so many just come to school to socialize-it's pretty sad. Anyway that's it for this topic.

2 comments:

Doss said...

Well, at least you have books!

Hope you are having a great time, come visit my blog when you have the time. http://mrbradford.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Well written article.