Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Karaoke and basketball

Yesterday we went to Queen's Park downtown with another teacher and some of the high school students from the school. We played some basketball and I think that I blocked more shots than I had points. I felt kind of bad because I blocked one shot so bad it was like I was spiking a volleyball. I have noticed two things about basketball over here: People don't like to pass and they call a foul if they feel a breeze or you are within one foot of them when they shoot. Also, during basketball, right next to the court, a huge outdoor aerobics class was taking place with about 2-3 hundred people and the instructor was on this huge platform. It was like Body by Jake, if you have ever seen that show. The music was humorous and I almost went over to dance in between the rows to see what would happen, but I couldn't because I was playing basketball. On the first day of school, all of the high school boys were asking John, who is another in the group if I played basketball because I am so tall compared to everyone else. After basketball we went to an arcade where they had this speed bag (boxing) and you see how hard you can punch it. After that they had the strongman hammer game like they have at the fair, but it was a heavy plastic hammer. I tried it out and got the new high score, and almost broke the thing. It made such a loud noise that there was a group of about 5 or 6 Thai people circled around watching and laughing. Maybe they were watching because I would hit the machine and then do a victory dance, it was pretty fun! Then I sang some karaoke in one of those sound proof booths! It is made of glass, so everyone walking by can see you but, can't hear you. I was dancing and singing with both of the microphones in this big mall! One guy missed the elevator because he was entranced by my karaoke skills! People were walking by and laughing and towards the end, I found out that if you yell into the microphone then you can be heard outside the booth. It was a fun time and only cost 75 cents to sing two songs. People would walk by and I would start dancing around and they would laugh. The best was the guy who missed the elevator. I know I mentioned it already, but he actually walked into the closed door because he was staring at me. Anyway, I hope to go to some different karaoke hot spots around town and show this town how to sing! Either that or I will be banned from every karaoke place!

Until next time

2 comments:

T-Rock said...

Hi ERic! I think you have missed your calling. A James Blunt/John Cullum hopeful/wannabe? I would come to your concert just to be entertained! Mr. Hansen, the teacher, sure is learning about how to monitor and adjust....as well as how to shoot from the hip. THat makes an amazing teacher, which you will be.
Thanks for the updates...keep 'em coming! I see Augustana in concert on Tuesday....yahoo! Stay out of the newpaper and out of jail, will ya?
Trish

Mr. Milliron said...

I thought people stared at me only because they could tell I was a frickin´ gringo...but I can´t imagine being that much taller than everyone. I hope you are making it, I am glad school is going well even though its challenging. I´m starting to see that I am thankful for these kids being a pain in my butt, because then I´ll love me CVHS students even more. Just remember: when in doubt...give a little thrust!