Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sports Day

So last Friday the school held the annual sports day! The teachers were coaches and since they are so organized here, I got to choose a team to coach. I went with the orange team and let me just say, I know how to pick a winner! This was a whole day ordeal with four teams competing: orange, blue, green, and red. Before the games started I made a joke about when the torch was going to arrive and about five minutes later a student came running in with a torch (if you want to call it that). The students competed in games such as tug o war, the three-legged race, a relay race, and football (soccer). It was about 95 degrees with 50 % humidity. Okay this is just a side note- so while I was typing this up, I tried to type the percent sign, and the next thing I know I am typing in Thai. Sports day also had cheer contests from each team and each team had a drum (bad idea). The kids beat on these drums for about 6 hours, so every time I hear a drum now I curl up into a ball and cover my ears (just kidding). Also, they had one of the teachers announcing the whole day in Thai over these speakers, but the problem is that in Thailand the Thais apparently love to yell as loud as they can into the microphone, so drums + yelling= headache. The day was really fun, and the orange team won the whole thing. For the soccer portion, each team was allowed to have one teacher, so they asked me to play because of amazing athletic ability. They ran out out time, so the championship game was to be decided by penalty kicks only. Oh yeah, and the ball we used was one of those over sized balls, so it made it very interesting. However, I did not let this deter me from scoring the game winner, or "equalizer" for you soccer fans. Speaking of sports, since I have been here, I have been going through withdrawals of the "big three" - football, basketball, and baseball. I have had six dreams about baseball (I kid you not), six dreams! So I am trying to upload pictures, but these computers are ancient, so I am having some trouble.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hahaha..my computer likes to go Thai on me too! Good to know it is not only me that has that problem.

p.s. Do you have a sports day this friday too? Our primary grades had an activity day last week, and a sports day this week. I swear they don't do anything else.